One Spelling Program For a Lifetime!
Spelling Power has everything you need to teach spelling words and skills to your entire family from third grade to college level. With Spelling Power, your children will master the 5,000 most frequently used words and key spelling principles at their own pace—in just 15 minutes a day—using research-proven strategies.
Spelling Power is Comprehensive and Individualized
When you add Spelling Power to your home school, your students, from third grade to adult, will use its individualized, self-paced, systematic, simultaneously multi-sensory procedures to:
- Review key phonetics principles,
- Learn consistently applicable spelling rules,
- Practice comprehensive dictionary skills,
- Establish essential proofreading habits, and
- Master the 5,000 most-frequently-used and misspelled words.
Spelling Power uses Linguistically-based Instruction
- Teaches spelling rules and principles organically;
- Guides phonetic and structural analysis;
- Teaches prefixes, suffixes, root words and other derivatives;
- Presents spelling principles both directly and inductively; and
- Teaches morphology and etymology of words.
Watch the Introduction to the Spelling Power Program
Spelling Power is Research-Based Instruction
Spelling Power uses all the successful techniques pioneered by Samuel Orton and Anna Gillingham (The Orton-Gillingham Approach) in the 1930s. Building on this solid foundation, Spelling Power incorporates the latest, research-proven spelling and teaching techniques including:
- Activities for students of all learning-styles,
- Fun, hands-on, inductive skill-building activities,
- Individualized so all learners, from dyslexic to gifted, succeed,
- Scientifically-organized, proprietary 5,000 word list, and
- 21st Century tools for both teacher & students.
Everything You Need to Teach Spelling Words & Skills
Everything you need to teach comprehensive spelling skills to all of your students, third grade to college level, is included in your copy of the Spelling Power manual and the accompanying resources below:
- On-demand Quick Start Seminar makes getting started easy,
- On-line Teacher's Resource Site provides you a wealth of printable resources,*
- Website and social media offer you easy 24/7 access to support,
- Free lifetime access to author via User Help-Line*, and
- Free lifetime Spelling Power User Newsletter subscription.
* Online Teacher's Resources and Free Lifetime access to author via User Help-Line are provided at no additional cost to original purchasers of the Spelling Power manual.
Spelling Power Improves Your Student's Writing
Not just for Friday's test . . .
but for a Lifetime of Writing Success
- Mastery of the most frequently used words;
- improves composition and creative writing abilities;
- proofreading, editing and revising become habits;
- lessons introduce dictionary and thesaurus use and practice and;
- Integrates easily with all school subjects.
Spelling Power Makes Spelling Easy to Teach
Even if you are new to teaching, you will find Spelling Power is easy-to-understand and easy-to-teach. We don't insult your intelligence with scripted lessons, but give you detailed, step-by-step directions and the background information you need so you truly understand how to give your students spelling power in just 15 minutes per day!
Three Easy Ways to Order Your Copy ...
Written for Home Schoolers by a Home School Mom
Frequently Asked Questions about Spelling Power
I have four children, can I teach Spelling Power to all of them at the same time?
Yes and No. You only need one manual for your entire family and it may be possible to conduct the placement tests with your children as a group. Many discovery activities are designed as family activities. But each child’s list will soon become unique since each child only studies words he doesn’t know.
How will I know if my student is ready for the Spelling Power program?
If your student shows the following skills and traits, he should be able to be placed on one of the 11 levels of Flow-Word Lists and succeed using the approach described in the Spelling Power Quick Start Steps.
- At least 8 years old -- developmentally and academically;
- Able to write each separate letter of the alphabet from dictation and can write some words without having to copy them;
- Speaks and is able to read on at least a second grade level;
- Can speak clearly and accurately pronounce most words;
- Has an understanding of basic phonetic principles -- knows the consonants;
- Is able to stay on-task for approximately five minutes; and
- Asks about words and how they are spelled.
My child always gets 100% on his weekly spelling test, but then misspells the same
words in his daily work. Will Spelling Power help him?
Yes, a child studies a word until it is mastered and a series of delayed recall tests review the words. Additionally, words misspelled in daily papers are added to daily tests until learned. Every word your child misspells is studied until mastered.
Where can I find some sample pages?
Since the Spelling Power program is an individualized program and each student moves at his own pace, there are no sample pages as such. You can get a good idea of just how the program works by going to the Spelling Power Lesson Plan page.